Sunday, June 12, 2011

Scrumptious Sunday

I got up this morning ready to cook.

For breakfast, I made a buffalo bleu cheese omlet.....if you didn't get it, I love HOT SAUCE

2 Egg Whites
1 Egg
3 Tbsp hot sauce
3 Tbsp Bleu Cheese

Scramble eggs with hot sauce. Put in a hot BUTTERED (not margarine) pan

When eggs set add 2 Tbsp of bleu cheese and fold into omelet shape.


When done, add hot sauce on top and the remaining bleu cheese. Yummy!






So for dinner I made eggplant, asparagus, and chicken napoleon's.....well sort of

You need
1 eggplant
1 bunch of fresh asparagus
1 15oz part skim ricotta
1 lemon (zested and juiced)
3 Tbsp fresh basil chooped
1/2 cup cheeses (I used Pecorino Reggiano and fresh parmesan)
A little precooked chicken breast shredded.


Drizzle olive oil over eggplant and asparagus (I cut mine down the stalk because they were so fat) then season with salt and pepper.  Put on hot grill for about 4 minutes a side. 


In a bowl combine the ricotta, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and various cheeses. 


Preheat oven to 200.  On a baking sheet assemble napoleons..... eggplant, ricotta mixture, asparagus, eggplant, ricotta, aspargus, chicken, eggplant. Bake for about 10 min or until ricotta mixture is heated through.



With these, I would definately not keep the skin on again, even though that's what the recipe said. The skin made it too chewy and retained a charred flavor.  These were good, but not add them to the menu good.  Not enough substance for me.

So as I was watching Food Network this morning (during breakfast), Hungry Girl was on.  She takes classics and makes them better for you and today she did mini apple pies.  Hungry Girl Awesome Apple Pielets

I made some substitutions to the recipe
I used granny smith apples (they are my fave) and empanada wrappers instead of egg roll wrappers because that's all the grocery store had.  I am also not going to repost the entire recipe because I linked it.

The apples were super easy to make and yummy.


Stuff them into empanada wrappers.....

 Bake for 18 min at 350.


These were ok.  If I were to do these again with empanada wrappers I would coat the inside in a sugar mixture.  It was doughy in places. It does suit the apple pie craving and I wanted a second one.  They only have about 250 calories and 3 g of fat.

But now my sink is full of dishes I won't do until tomorrow and I need to sleep.....stay tuned and stay hungry.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog :)
    I love the sound and look of those eggplant towers -- eggplant is one of my favorite veggies and I love it paired with ricotta.

    ReplyDelete