Thursday, June 9, 2011

Scallops, mushrooms, arugula, and AMAZING trail mix

What possessed me to cook on this scalding hot day without air conditioning, I may never know.  Heck I was just trying to clean up and was dripping with sweat and nothing was even on!!!!!


Tonight I used recipes from Paula Deen and Claire Robinson.

Pan Seared Scallops with Pineapple Salsa (Linky) I did modify it a bit
Scallops (I used 3/4 of a pound)
1 Can pineapple chunks
1 cucumber
1/4 of a red onion
4 Tbsp of fresh cilantro
Zest of a lime
1 lime juiced
1/2 jalapeno
4 tbsp of hot sauce (I am sort of addicted)

The scallops literally take 5 min.so start the salsa first.  Finely chop the pineapple, cucumber, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Throw into a bowl.  Add zest, hot sauce and lime juice.  Mix.  I refridgerated mine to integrate the flavors.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over Medium heat.  Make sure the oil is hot before adding scallops.  Rinse and dry scallops.  Season with salt and pepper. Place scallops into hot pan and do not touch for 3 minutes.  Flip and do not touch for an additional 2 min. Serve.




Garlic Portabello Mushroom Gremolata
Batch of gremolata (1 can of anchovies, 2 large cloves of garlic, zest of one lemon finely minced and mixed together)
Precut package of baby portabello muschrooms
1/2 onion sliced to your liking.
2 Tbsp Philadelphia Cooking Cream Garlic flavor


Gremolata



First off that cooking cream is awesome.  I highly recommend it.

In a small skillet heat some olive oil.  When hot add onions and cook til just starting to absorb some color.  Add rinsed mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.  Cook down til mushrooms are at your preferred consistency.  Add the cooking cream and heat through 1-2 min.  Remove from heat and toss with gremolata.





Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinegarette
1-2 cups of baby arugula
1 lemon
olive oil (I eye ball it)
Block of fresh parmesan cheese

whisk together lemon juice and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss over arugula and shred parmesan cheese over the salad.




But I am not done.  Claire Robinson made this trail mix the other day that I was dying to try.....so I made that to.  Again I fiddled with the recipe, but the original is linked here


2 cups of uncooked, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup raw or unsalted sunflower seed kernels (the recipe calls for raw, I found roasted unsalted and used them)
1/2 cup pecans
1 package of craisins (I used cherry flavored)
6-7 tbsp of syrup (recipe calls for maple, I used store brand pancake syrup)

 Mix your pumpkin seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans and syrup into a bowl and mix well.

Line a baking sheet or two with parchment and spread the mixture out flat.


Bake at 325 for 20 min, stirring 3-4 times or until the seeds are golden brown.

Cool completely in pan.  When cool, break apart and place into a bowl. Add craisins and mix.  Seal in air tight containers.



THIS MIX IS ADDICTING. I could eat it all now!!!! However, I will show restraint and eat it in "moderation."

Best part of the night....I didn't destroy my kitchen!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment