Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Stuffed Meatballs!

So I really wanted to play with ground lamb tonight, but my grocery store didn't have any.  I was in the mood to experiment, so I wanted to play around tonight.  Let's just say I was in the kitchen for awhile, but I am extremely happy with the outcome!!!

I made stuffed meatballs and couscous. Never had couscous before, but I am now a HUGE fan.

Goat Cheese stuffed Veal Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce
1 lb ground veal (no lamb, hey, try a new meat)
1/2 red onion
8 cloves garlic (4 smashed, 4 minced/finely chopped)
Olive Oil
Rosemary (I used dry)
Thyme (I used dry)
Salt and Pepper
Bread crumbs (I didn't have any so I crushed up crackers and added some seasoning)
1 Egg

Tzatziki Sauce
2 cups low fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 a cucumber (seeded and diced)
2 cloves garlic
3 tsp hot sauce



Step 1- Carmelize your onions.  Make sure your oil is hot before you add your onions and be sure to salt.

















With a minute or so left, add your smashed garlic cloves for flavor.  (You will take these out, so keep 'em big)

Take onions and place into the bowl you will mix the meat in.  Take out large cloves of garlic






While carmelizing the onions, make the Tzatziki sauce because it need to sit for about an hour in the fridge.


Take yogurt and strain.




 




Add strained yogurt to food processor or blender.  Also add cut cucumber, 2 whole garlic cloves, hot sauce in with the yogurt.




Blend until smooth and well mixed. Then place in fridge. 



Back to meatballs.


Add minced garlic to bowl of carmelized onions.





Then add your meat to the bowl with desired spices and egg. Add bread crumbs to help the mixture stay together.


Take  meat mixture and roll into small meatballs.  Leave a finger hole in the middle of each meatball to stuff.

Wash your hands and then cut and roll the goat cheese into little balls to stuff in the finger holes.


Gently move the meat to cover the cheese and roll to ball form. 


Bake at 350 for 20 min.


Couscous- Take box and follow directions.

I added feta cheese and black olives to it when done cooking.

Serve the meatballs with a little tzatziki sauce and marinara (I used homemade eggplant marinara from the freezer) if desired.  Spoon some couscous onto plate and enjoy.



FYI- Tzatziki sauce is amazing on couscous.


HUGE side note- I've been telling people about the guy that lives under my shed.  So while cooking, he wandered into the middle of the yard.  By the time I got my camera he paused at the shed for a picture.  I need to name him. (and find out officially what he is)

1 comment: