Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July Contributions.

So Happy 4th! I had a BBQ to go to today so I needed to make something to bring.  I also got a new housewarming present to break in, so today I did both.

Hence VERY VEGGIE SALAD and SUN TEA



So VVS is meant to be made with any veggies you want.  I will break down what I used.

3 pints of cherry tomatoes quartered
2 large cucumbers, seeded and diced
black olives
1/2 red onion
1 green pepper
4 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp of lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz feta cheese crumbles
Fresh basil chopped

Cut up all veggies, add all other ingredients EXCEPT FETA.  Mix and let sit at room temp for at least an hour. Toss with feta cheese just before serving.

Now because those directions were so difficult let's view a photo montage of the VVS process.













 SUN TEA

I used to love the sun tea my aunt used to make.  However, you have to have a  glass jar.  Everytime I bought one, it would break.  My friend, Erica, bought me this for a housewarming gift and I had to use it!!!!


 My Sun tea recipe
fill container 2/3 full with cold water

Add 10 tea bags (this is for 1 1/2 gallons) depending on desired strength of tea

Fill remainder of container with just below full with ice

Stir and cover.
Sit in the sun until tea is desired color.
Now for pics of tea at varying stages
One hour

Two hours


Remove tea bags and serve cold.
Ten Hours

There are so many variations on tea.  I chose to make mine without sugar because I like to control my sugar.  You can make various syrups to add.  I plan to pour a glass and add just the amount of sugar I want or maybe even sweeten it with lemonade.

Happy Fourth.....what's more American than a good veggie salad and iced tea??????








No comments:

Post a Comment