Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chorizo and Shrimp

Jersey isn't hot you say, PSSSH hush your mouth! It's 100 degrees today! However, this idiot wanted to cook! Since I am going out to dinner tonight, I cooked me a lunch!

I had some chorizo and shrimp in the freezer so  here we go!

Chorizo and Shrimp (this was just one serving alter it as needed)
1 Chorizo link
6-8 frozen, deveined, and raw shrimp
1/4 cup Herdez Salsa Verde
sauteed onions to your liking
1 corn tortilla
cumin
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
garlic salt
1 cup of  microwaveable minute rice
1-2 tbsp lime juice


First defrost your shrimp and chorizo.  Don't defrost your chorizo all the way through because then you can't really cut it up into pieces.  I started to defrost outside in the 100 degree temps but I was too impatient and switched to defrost the shrimp in ice cold water.




The first thing I  did was to start to sautee my onions in a little olive oil and salt on low heat.



As the onions cooked down I prepped my corn tortilla to make some crispy tortilla chip strips.  Take a corn tortilla and spray with vegetable spray on both sides. Then season with desired seasonings.  I used salt, pepper, and cumin. Then cut into strips.




Cook tortilla strips at 350 for 4 minutes per side, flipping 1/2 way through.  Keep a careful eye on these because they burn quickly.



When onions are at desired firmness, add chorizo.


Then drain defrosted shrimp and season with olive oil,  cumin, season salt and red pepper flakes.


Add shrimp to chorizo and onions, after the chorizo is cooked 1/2 way through.





When shrimp turns reddish on the one side, flip the shrimp to cook on the other side and add the Herdez Salsa Verde, stir well.


Let cook till combined, a few minutes.  Then add the rice.


 Stir and cover.  Let cook for an additional 2-4 minutes.  Add lime juice right before serving (like 1 minute and stir). Then serve topped with tortilla strip chips.


The flavors in this dish were amazing.  The rice became well seasoned with the other components and was super tender and delish! I have decided that this will be a go to recipe for me because it was easy and super yummy.    Such a great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment