Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Biscuits and Shrimp Gravy

So I have an unnatural love for biscuits ad sausage gravy.  However, I don't have any sausage so I wanted to change it up.   I've been playing around with finding a biscuit recipe and was looking for an opportunity to make biscuits......so VIOLA!


Biscuits and Shrimp Gravy (GRAVY RECIPE BELOW)

Biscuits: biscuit recipe
2 Cups AP flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 Tbsp salt
3/4 c milk or water
1/4 c oil


 Mix together dry ingredients.  I also added a healthy dose of pepper to go with the pepper that was the key to the meal.


To dry ingredients add the mixed together wet ingredients and stir til combined.



Then place onto an ungreased cookie sheet in desired amounts.  Bake at 400 for 22 minutes.



The biscuits were really dry.....I made them with water because I needed the milk for the gravy, but I would definately use milk next time.

While the biscuits baked I prepped my shrimp.  I used 10 FROZEN raw shrimp.   I thawed them in cold water. 


While the shrimp were thawing, I prepped the water to boil the shrimp in.  I filled a pot and seasoned the water with a little salt and a TON of fresh ground pepper.


Bring the water to a boil and cook shrimp for about 3 minutes. Remove and place the shrimp in an ice bath to stop the cooking.



I then butterflied the shrimp to maximize the shrimp to gravy ratio.



GRAVY:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp of flour
2 cups milk
Onions (to your pref)
salt and pepper to your taste

In a little butter saute your onions until they are soft.


Remove onions from pan.  Melt 2 tbsp of butter. 


Add the 2 tbsp of flour to make a roux. Whisk together constantly...


Then when well combined.  Then add the milk. Whisk together until combined, then you can switch to a spatula.


Over medium heat, add the shrimp, onions, salt and pepper and stir constantly.  This will take about 15-20 minutes to reduce and thicken.  Remember when you take the pan off the heat it will continue to thicken.




Serve over biscuits....I buttered mine. 



THIS WAS YUMMY!!!! I thought it was going to suck but it was good.  The worst part was the dry biscuits!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment