Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fresh Apple Cake

So, about a week ago, me and some fellow Kiwanians went to farmer's night.  Everyone got a door prize.  My prize was a bag of fresh apples. I've been looking for a recipe to try.  Today, thanks to a surprise day off from work, I had the time and energy to try something new......



APPLE CAKE with struesal-ish topping
Recipe adapted from cooks.com
2 Cups diced apples (it took me 2 1/2 apples)
1 Cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour

Struesal-ish topping
2 tbsp butter cold
4 tbsp sugar
enough cinnamon to get the sugar brownish looking.

HOW TO:
First, peel and dice apples




Take chopped apples and place in a mixing bowl.  Mix with 1 cup of sugar and let sit for 30 min. 






I stirred the apple/sugar mixture every 10 min or so to ensure the apples broke down/were coated evenly.







Next add oil and egg and mix til well combined......(sorry no pic) Mix dry ingredients in a bowl to eliminate clumps.





Add dry mixture to apple mixture gradually to ensure they are well combined.








Now the recipe called for an 8 x 8 loaf pan, but I didn't want to do that so I used an 8 inch pie tin.
Grease and flour the tin.  Preheat oven to 350



Now dice butter and add sugar and cinnamon to the butter.....it didn't crust up like I wanted to so I just made cinnamon sugar butter.  I added that to the top of the cake.






Now because I altered the cooking pan, I had to play with the time.  Initially I baked for 20 min, but it was SOOOOO not done.  I added 10 more minutes, so total cooking time 30 min.


It came out like this!



allow to cool and then enjoy.......


This cake was delicious.  I wish I had milk to go with it. It was the moistest cake I've ever had in my life!  In fact, I am going to go get piece #2 for the evening.....enjoy!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment