Monday, September 19, 2011

Hot Pepper Jelly and Empanadas!

So yesterday my sis MJ and her son Niko came over.  We decided to embark on a journey to make homemade hot pepper jelly.....we succeeded in making a mess, screwing up my stove top, making a glaze, but not jelly.  ******There is a disclaimer at the end of the recipe******

Tonight I wanted Empanadas so I made them myself.  Enjoy tonight's show.


We figured we should feed Niko lunch before we tore apart the kitchen.......<3 this kid!

Anyway Hot Pepper Jelly

2 1/2 cups finely chopped Green Bell Peppers
1 1/4 cups of any combination Red, Orange, Yellow bell peppers, finely chopped.
5 Cups Sugar
1 Tbsp Red pepper flakes
1 finely chopped Jalapeno
1 1.75 oz package dry pectin
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Mason Jars (sterilized and kept warm) **** You will also need a big pot of water kept warm....you will need to bring it to a boil later.

First chop the gajillion peppers.  It would be easier if you had a food processor, but mine wouldn't turn on. So instead me and my sis MJ spent about 30 minutes just chopping peppers.



When you finally have all your dumb, stupid, annoying bell peppers chopped, add to a pan.  To that add the pepper flakes, jalapeno, apple cider vinegar, and dry pectin. Bring to a boil stirring constantly.  

When brought to a boil add all 5 cups of sugar.  Continue stirring and bring back to a boil.  Once boiling resumes, boil exactly one minute.


Make sure you use a big enough sauce pan.  See all that crap on my stove.  It's burnt sugar....it doesn't come off.....it sucks......... anyway.....after you finish boiling, ladle hot liquid into sterilized mason jars.  Then place the sealed mason jars into the warm water bath.  The jars should be completely covered. Bring jars to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.


Remove from water and cool for 30 min.  Then place in fridge to gel.


Our jellies did not gel.  They are more glaze-like, but delicious. My sister took hers home, refired the jellies and added more pectin.  She added another  1/2 pack of pectin, but it was too much.  She also reboiled the jars for an additional 5 minutes.  This is very yummy!!!!!!  Last night I put the glaze over fish.

Tonight: EMPANADAS!!!!

1 package of empanada wrappers (I used large)
1- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (chicken, turkey will do)
Spices to your liking (I forgot to grab my fave Sazon)
1/2 an onion diced
1 diced jalapeno
2- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Brown beef with seasonings, onions, and jalapeno



When beef is finished cooking, add about 3/4 of the cheese and melt.



Have a frying pan with oil heating up so you are ready to fry the empanadas.  Take 2 spoonfuls of meat and add to the empanada wrapper.




Top meat mixture with cheese.  Then fold empanada. Seal with fork.  YOU NEED TO SEAL TWICE....seal with the fork, then flip it over and seal again.  This ensures your empanada doesn't leak.


Fry in hot oil for about a minute a side.



Serve with your favorite stuff queso, sour cream, salsa....I used the hot pepper jelly and it was amazing.  I also had so many made that I put some in the freezer for another night.


Dinner was yummy.  I wished I seasoned the beef a little more and used less cheese in the meat so I could have more to top it with.  All in all a good meal!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment