Monday, August 8, 2011

Dinner and a burnt finger

Between grad school kicking my butt and work.....posting has been difficult.

Tonight I cooked a pasta using fresh cherry tomatoes from my friend Ruth and fresh basil from my garden.

I eyeballed everything so cook it how you'd like

You'll need:
pasta of your choice
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic finely minced
6 fresh basil leaves
cherry tomatoes

Cut your tomatoes into quarters.  Heat skillet over medium heat and heat oil.  Add garlic and cook for about two min.....DON'T BURN THE GARLIC. Add tomatoes heat through.



Roll 3 basil leaves tightly, and using kitchen shears, cut basil extremely thin and add to tomatoes.
Toss with pasta and enjoy.


So then I wanted to try my hand at brittle. I had sunlower seeds so sunflower seed brittle it was!


It's super simple.....

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup of sunflower seeds (salted)
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt.

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter.  When melted add the sunflower seeds and salt.....stir in and keep warm. (sorry about the angle)
Then in a large skillet, melt the sugar over medium high heat.  Stir it constantly.


As it melts, it will begin to clump up.


Continue to melt the sugar until golden brown.




Add sunflower seeds and mix.  Then dump on a well buttered cookie sheet to spread and cool.


Then break apart and enjoy.


So about the burnt finger.... as I was melting the sugar, some of it spilled onto my finger.  After 20 min of ice it looks like this.




The blister is now halfway down to the second bend in my finger.  This stuff hurts.....so lets just say I'm trying to type normally minus the right index finger and it's taken almost 45 min to type this, I apologize for any typos, but I am sure you'll forgive me.

An hour and a half later it looks like this 




No comments:

Post a Comment