Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"G" MEN

Ha...you thought I meant Giants, boo no.....even though my Eagles are playing like doo doo.

So this weekend I went cookie crazy, but I saved a new cookie for tonight. GINGERBREAD MEN!!!!

This recipe was easy though some tweaking occurred, I am unsure if I would tweak it again.

Apparently Paula Deen is my cookie hero (wow, weird), but this seemed like the least involved recipe.



NEEDS:
2 3/4 C flour (I used 2 1/2 and needed more, recipe calls for 3 3/4)
1 Stick soften butter
3/4 C dark brown sugar (packed)
1/4 C molasses
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 Eggs
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (Someone recommended 3/4, but I am not a nutmeg gal)
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt

Icing needs 1 C confect. sugar and 2 tbsp milk with desired food coloring.




First cream butter and brown sugar on low speed until well combined. 



Add eggs and molasses. Mix on med- med-high speed, until the mixture comes together. BTW: Molasses looks and smells gross.








Now for the dry ingredients it tells you to sift them, but who in the world owns a damn sifter anymore? Therefore I simply dumped it all together and mixed it well and carefully with a spatula.  So it's important to note that you need more than 2 1/2 C of flour.....




I actually used a gingerbread man spatula to make gingerbread men HA HA HA



Add dry mixture to wet, using a spoon or spatula to combine.



THIS WAS SUPER STICKY......needed to add tons of flour later, but I could not even handle the dough.  Transfer the dough to saran wrap and wrap.  Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. 




Flour a surface and a rolling pin (NOTE WOODED ROLLING PINS SUCK FOR THIS!!!!!).  Taking small portions of the dough ball, roll to 1/8- 1/4 in thick, cut with cookie cutter.  Before each roll I had to flour the board, the rolling pin and the dough! I line my sheets with parchment for easy cleanup!


Bake at 350 for 8-10 min.



To make icing, mix sugar and water until mixed through.  Add food coloring and decorate as desired



I don't know when the last time I had a Gingerbread cookie was, and therefore don't have a point of reference to compare the taste too.  I ate an entire cookie and wanted more, so that must be good.


In other news, I DESTROYED MY KITCHED....damn flour!  I call myself CHEF MESS for a reason.




Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment